Had a great Memorial Day weekend. Cooked some yummy food and spent some time gathering my dye equipment together in preparation for a week of fabric dying. I’m going to over dye my eco scarves with Indigo and also do some fat quarters with madder, brazilwood, weld and maybe some others. I am going to try some thread resist and some other experiments.
On the last day of the workshop we did fabric dyeing. First we did a tonal – I used the purple (see first two pictures) and then we used a couple of different folding techniques and three colors. I had mixed results – I didn’t either use enough dye or didn’t squish (highly technical term) the fabric down into the dye enough. I had a lot of white areas – which I don’t think we were supposed to have. I did like one of my pieces – the others not so much. However, I am interested in using the pleated technique with my indigo dying to see what I can achieve. Here are a few of the results. The one I like is the the one on the bottom. The third pictures is of the cups that held our projects. We pleated and the rolled like a jelly roll, or squished the fabric into the cup, or pleated and fit in a cup without rolling.