All this Spring weather has me needing to sort, clean and generally get organized. Why wait so long I often wonder. One of the things I did was go through each plastic tub stored in my sewing room. Each tub was carefully and sorted into finish or get rid of. Harsh, but the reality is I found that I avoid finishing things. Weird, but after being honest with myself I realize that by finishing something it means it will be subject to comment. I hate that. But, the reality is I need to get this stuff finished.
It started with finishing the quilt I started for my niece Kailey over 15 years ago. When I got it out of the tub – it turned out it was done, except for the binding. Really!! Took me a couple of days to figure out what my original plan was but then it went pretty quick. I couldn’t believe it moved with me every place I went for over 15 years! I even took it to Shanghai with me, thinking I would finish it up there. Why didn’t I finish it? Regardless its done. This pattern is called County Roads and if you are from the Midwest it will bring back some memories.
Next, I tackled the Dresden Plate quilt I started over 20 years ago. I was downsizing my fabric stash well before we left Kansas and found several calico prints I had purchased in the early 1980’s. Oh dear – thats way more than 20 years 😦
Anyway I got this idea many years ago that I wanted to make an entire quilt, pieced and quilted by hand – no machine quilting or stitching. Thus the Dresden Plate quilt was born and what better fabric to use than those old calico prints. Took me FOREVER, especially since I would work on it and then put it away – apparently for more than 20 years. Also moved around with me – however I did, at some point finish it. When I pulled it out of its storage tub last week, I was puzzled as to why it was in there. It was bound and quilted – so why wasn’t I using it? As I got it out of the tub and spread it on the floor I had an epiphany of sorts. I remember that I had decided after it was done that I didn’t have enough quilting on it and I decided to add some full and half circles, quilted in the green thread that I did the applique with. I only had added that quilting in on three sides – but then apparently, for whatever reason, didn’t finish one long side. Took me about six hours to finish it up – worked on it in the evenings while watching my Britbox shows.
So, a nice feeling to get at least two things out of the tubs and being used.
So today, I decided transition into Spring and put the winter bedding away. My husband has been bringing bedding and assorted items home from China over the past few trips and one of the things he brought back was a nice white cotton blanket. I decided to put that on the bed but it was kind of bland and got this crazy idea to throw one of my indigo scarves onto the top. Nothing original, I’m sure, but I have all of these Indigo scarves that I have experimented on with different techniques and nothing to do with them. However, I knew it wouldn’t belong before the scarf ended up on the floor, so I decided to sew it onto the blanket. Kind of liked it and I think I might explore doing more of this but NOT use a blanket that has a woven pattern in it. It was tricky keeping the blanket from stretching and in truth it did end up a bit wanky. But I’m liking it.
So, thats it for today. And before you wonder – the quilt on the headboard isn’t finshed either!! It still needs to have a binding put on. I know, I know – I will get to it but its not the next project. If you think these are old – the next one was started over 30 years ago – will take me a bit longer but I’m going to keep slogging away at it.